Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Instead, use helpful words.

Our new-ish Executive Pastor/Pastor of Families/Really Cool Guy, Dr. David Frisbie, spoke this past Sunday morning while Pastor Brett was out of town. Dr. Frisbie has a way of speaking the truth that makes you laugh and hits you in the gut at the same time. If the video goes on the website, I will link it here, because it was really a great message about the stuff that comes out of our mouths.  In the meantime, here is some scripture he provided that I have been reading since Sunday, and they are good reminders for all of us. 

For the words that the mouth speaks... reveal the nature of a person's heart.  Luke 6:45

So do not use harmful words; instead, use helpful words, the kind that build up and encourage those who hear you.  Ephesians 4:28

Then I cried, "Woe is me. I am lost! For I am a person of unholy speech, and I live among people of unholy speech."  Isaiah 6:5


I wouldn't call myself a gossiper (okay. sometimes) but I do use "harmful words" and there are times that I am far from encouraging. Lord, I want the words that come out of my mouth to reveal the nature of my heart. Help me to use words that build people up and encourage them, not tear them down. Amen. 




1 comment:

Donnie said...

I loved this sermon. The quote that's stuck with me this week was God saying to him "Before you try to go and save the world, I've got some things I want to fix with you."

I love you and can't wait for the really long weekend!