Wednesday, April 22, 2009

No. Big boy.

Donnie once said something like, "Everyone said how fast they grow, but I didn't know this is what they meant." Like, all the sudden we have these KIDS. Big kids. Big enough, that when I said the other day to Reagan, "Come here, baby boy." He replied, "No. Big boy." 


I wouldn't say it has bothered me just yet, how fast the time seems to be passing. I've always explained, that I sort of looked forward to the next step, the growing up. Because quite frankly, I knew the older they got, the easier it got. (I know, I use the term "easier" quite lightly. But anything is easier to me than those first six months. So that's what I'm basing my theory on.) 


But I am sort of struggling with the fact that I don't have babies anymore. I have kids that tell me what they want to wear, and what they want to eat. And kids that go and get their own tissues to blow their own noses. And take off their clothes by themselves and climb into the bathtub by themselves. And kids that are too stubborn to apologize for hitting their brother. And kids that can almost get in and out of their own car seats (and they are really high up there). And kids that can play outside, on their own, only being supervised through the window. And kids that know that the sky is blue but tell me its pink just to be funny. 


I do miss their baby stages sometimes. But I have about 1900 pictures and hours of video to help me reminisce. Really, I look forward more to what is ahead. Getting to know their personalities as they form.  Finding out what they will look like. Watching them grow closer as brothers, and hopefully BFFs (Grandpa, that's an acronym for Best Friend Forever). Cheering at the first soccer game. Taking off the training wheels. Etc, etc.  But until then, I will oblige when one of them wants me to climb in bed with them at naptime. Or snuggle just another 5 minutes on the couch. Or carry them to the car when I really wish they would walk. Because, before I know it, I'll be begging them to stop growing up. 


1 comment:

aunt tric said...

you are an amazing writer! This is great! I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to begging them not to grow up! Have been doing that with Hannah for years now!
Love you and miss you!