Monday, January 12, 2009

Who doesn't like bananas?

From the very first taste, Reagan has hated bananas. He has never eaten them, not swallowed a bite of them. Ever. I've hidden them under my Raisin Bran on the spoon when he asks for a bite of my cereal. He spits it out. I've mushed them up and put them in his pb & js. He spits it out.  He doesn't even like the Banana Nut flavored oatmeal.  But still, I give him some every time Kiefer eats a banana. Reagan will ask for some, I'll cut a couple pieces off, and they will sit on his plate or placemat, untouched.  Sometimes untouched means smashed into the plate with his finger or fork... but never eaten.  Ever.   (His dislike for them even made the sidebar description of his character.) 

Cut to yesterday morning. Breakfast. Donnie is eating a banana. Kiefer asks for a bite and chomps a huge chunk off the banana. So of course, Reagan wants a turn. I say, "Just give him a piece. He'll probably just play with it."  Donnie hands Reagan the banana and he, too, chomps a huge chunk. And starts chewing it. AND THEN SWALLOWS IT. Like its his favorite thing in the whole world. Like he hasn't spit the stupid things out since he was 6 months old!  Like they haven't hung out on his plate, untouched, at least twice a week for the last year. And then, of course, he wants another bite. 

So, this morning, I think, "It was a fluke."  I grab the last banana and Kiefer takes a bite. 


I look at Reagan, and he says "bite."  And now we have Reagan's favorite fruit. The banana. 


(We'll see how Day 3 goes. I'm still a skeptic.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be the incredible Banana bread Aunt Kimmy shared with him at Christmas! :)

ericajayne said...

That is HILARIOUS!!

kristin said...

maybe he's slightly allergic to them like I am. I still eat them but they are definitely not my fav!!