Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Its a good thing I don't believe in Karma, cause I'd be wondering what the heck I did

So let me set it up for you. We were planning on traveling to Iowa for Christmas today, Tuesday. Last week, we notice there is snow and ice in the forecast for Tuesday. We watch diligently, each day, trying to decide if we should wait until Tuesday or leave a day early and beat the bad weather.  We didn't want to leave a day early. I was going to work a little bit, Donnie needed the extra day in the office, a friend was having a wedding reception (post-elopement)... I still needed to wrap presents, make puppy chow and chex mix, and I needed to deliver presents to church staff on Tuesday morning.  By Sunday night, still ice and snow in the Missouri and Iowa forecast.  So, we pack up (including the unwrapped presents and ingredients), cancel plans, and head out Monday afternoon. Of course, only after I spent an hour and a half waiting for my car to get checked out because my navigation and stereo shut down about 30 minutes before we were supposed to leave.  We couldn't risk there being an electrical problem, and also didn't want to bear the 8 hour trip with no Little Songs for Little Souls or the Backyardigans.  
So we are on the road, feeling relieved that we will be hunkered down in my parents' very warm house before any of the nasty weather starts. 
Cut to us getting back in the car after gas and dinner in Kansas City.  What's this? A little precipitation? A little further north... what's all this snow blowing in front of the car? Why can't I see a single thing in front of me?  OH YEAH. BECAUSE THE STUPID STORM CAME EARLY AND WE ARE STUCK RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT. And I'll be honest. Its sucked. Its been a long time since I've been nervous behind the wheel like that. Thankfully I was the driver because I don't think Donnie would have made it (he'll admit it).  There was a 30 minute chunk where I couldn't go over 25 miles per hour. The traffic was heavy and congested, and I swore inside more than once as semi after semi flew by us, totally clouding all visibility. Apparently there were some urgent deliveries to be made.  And for all those people that think Iowa is flat... tell that to the steep drop-offs on the other side of the icy and snow covered shoulder!
The thing is, as our friend at the dealership told me right before we left, we were really in the safest vehicle out there for those conditions. My car has a setting specifically for snow and ice. But that's just not very comforting as I glance back and see two sleeping beauties in my back seat. The only comforting thing was putting the car in park in my mom's driveway.
And speaking of my sleeping beauties... a lot of the stress of going 25 miles per hour came from thinking that they would hit a breaking point after being in the car for 8, then 9 hours. And well after bedtime. And especially considering we gave them a long enough break to eat some chicken nuggets and chase Daddy around the empty fast food joint for 3 minutes while I cleaned up. But let me tell you, I think God leaned down and whispered in their ears, "Mommy and Daddy need to concentrate and stay calm right now, so why don't you just close your beautiful blue eyes and go night-night." Because that's exactly what they did. Not a peep. Not a complaint. Not a single "why have we been in these seats all day long with no playing or running or snuggling?!"  They couldn't have been better. 
So here we are. Unfortunately the house is quiet. My mom took Wayne to a follow up appointment and no one else has made it here yet.  They better hurry before the storm comes!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate when that happens...I'll be there tomorrow!