Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tomorrow is the Beginning

As you know, I'm in Iowa visiting with my family before my Grandpa Willy's (triple) bypass surgery. Grandpa will be at the hospital at 11 in the morning to start the process for his surgery. Right now some of us are watching a video from his doctor's appointment yesterday. If you know my Grandpa you know its not unusual that he had my Uncle Terry aim a video camera at the doctor during the visit. He explained that the surgery is of course a risk, but its the lesser of 2 evils as his blockage will most definitely cause a heart attack. There is a 5% chance of not making it through and a 5% chance of complications. Pretty good numbers in Papa's favor. His surgeon told him yesterday "I'll make a deal with you. You pray for me and I'll pray for you." So I'm asking you to please pray for Dr. Beggerly, along with Grandpa Willy. Apparently he's known as one of the best heart surgeons in the state, so that's reassuring in its own way.

Grandpa just got us all together to talk to us all. I don't remember him ever calling a "family meeting." I've also never seen my Grandpa choke back tears like I just did as he thanked us all for being here and basically told us that he loves us. He said he knew we'd all pray for him so I believe he knows he will come through this. He also thanked us all for the memories, so I also believe he understands the severity. If you know my family, you know my Grandpa fighting tears means the rest of us streaming tears. We are a group of Believers so we are believing tomorrow is the beginning of a healthier Grandpa. But we are also an emotionally attached family so we know what's on the line. And that's why you will find each one of us on our knees tonight. Please help us pray for peace for my Grandpa.

As a stated in an earlier post, my Grandpa is the strongest man I've ever known. And that's not an exaggeration by any means. My dad was the other one. I've already lost him and I believe losing Grandpa Willy will be the next hardest thing in my adult life. And I'm not ready.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen

Anonymous said...

So glad for the good report. Go Grandpa Willie!