Saturday, September 20, 2008

Long blog for a long day.

and its only 10am.... 

Donnie had a men's retreat to attend this weekend with some guys from church. He was supposed to be home from work for about an hour before heading out. So we waited for him outside. 

Turns out he was stuck at work and would be late.  He got home in time to change, grab his bag, give and get some hugs, give a couple boys a short ride on his back, and off he went.  Reagan tried to make him stay. 

Shortly after he left, I decided we needed to leave, too. It was a little muggy for the park, so we headed to our indoor back-up, the mall play area. The boys played hard. Kiefer was accidentally knocked down by an older boy, and Reagan came running, pointed and told the boy "No!" and then hugged his little brother. Precious. Already sticking up for each other on the playground. Kiefer started something new... he'd climb up to the top of the firetruck and then yell "Ma-ma-ma!" and wait for me to wave, and then he would slide down.  He did it every time, and every time it made me smile.  Well, a little while later, Reagan got his leg caught underneath him on the same slide and cried almost the same "Ma-ma-ma!" and then decided he was done playing.

We got home, had a successful bedtime, and I cracked open a Fresca and headed to check my email.  I stumbled upon this blog and couldn't stop reading.  I finally went to bed, thankful that Donnie's only gone for one night. 

We sent Donnie a message this morning before breakfast. Its no fun having a Saturday morning without Daddy. 


We had our usual Saturday Morning Pancakes but Kiefer Bug didn't eat more than a few bites. My first thought, "uh-oh."  The only time he doesn't eat breakfast is when he's not feeling well. He can leave or take lunch or dinner any time, but breakfast he loves.  Sure enough, as Reagan was in the other room playing, and I was doing the dishes, I heard a cough, then a gag, and then a splash to the floor. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but it started on one end of the kitchen, resumed in the middle, and finally stopped at my feet by the dishwasher.   I stripped him down, cleaned him up, assured Reagan everything was going to be okay, and put Kiefer on the couch with a towel to hold just in case.  Then headed to the kitchen. If you know me, you know there's almost nothing worse than being around the stinkiness of throw up. But I'm getting pretty good at it.  Well, okay at it.  I don't throw up myself while cleaning it anymore. And somehow, Kiefer has chosen to do this when Donnie is not around, a.lot.  So anyway, got it cleaned up and realized Kiefer was already up and playing again.  He seems to feel fine.

 Maybe hopefully it was a one time thing. 
Either way, I've cancelled our big plans for the day. We were supposed to go to the Greek Festival with Stacey. Not risking it. Although it breaks my heart to stay away from the falafels and hummus. We also had big plans to go to Target. I need to exchange the wrong water pitcher filters I bought the other day for the right ones. Another day of impure water.  The only thing worse than not having Donnie around on a Saturday, is being stuck in the house, anticipating more throw up.  We'll at least venture outside, as we've been having the most perfect weather during the day.  






2 comments:

RachD said...

Precious. The signs are great! Donnie must have smiled really big when he saw this.

Anonymous said...

as always the boys are absolutely adorable in their pics! Where did you find that blog? I just spent the last hour reading it....
love you!